Friday, January 6, 2017

#girlboss(es) 18 - Carly Walko

Happy first Friday of 2017! I hope this first week of the new year has treated you well! If not, it's the weekend, and tomorrow is a new day! To kick off 2017's #FabulousFemaleFriday posts, I thought I would feature a fellow personal stylist, who happens to be another stylist role model in my life, in addition to the equally fabulous, Linda LaRosa (click here to read her post, if you missed it)

Her name is Carly Walko, and her website is, http://www.thirtysomethingfashion.com/tsf/. I first heard about Carly through a friend of mine, who sent me a Facebook message, not too long after I officially launched my blog back in March, saying something to the effect of "Here's someone who is awesome and really successful at what you're trying to do. You should check out her Facebook page!" First, let me just say that it was awesome for that friend of mine to send me that message, because support like that is crucial when you're just starting out. Second, I'm so glad that I did, because Carly is so sweet, in addition to being very successful! I sent her a message, introducing myself, explaining my new venture, and asked for any advice she would be willing to share. Despite the fact that she is one busy lady, she took the time to respond, and when I reached out to her for a #FabulousFemaleFriday post, she again, took the time to get back to me. 

I feel very humble and grateful for the fact that I have had so many successful women go out of their way to help me grow, whether it is with my business or emotionally - I'm honored. Enjoy reading about Carly!
Mrs. Carly Walko

"Hi!  So happy to be here and sharing a bit about myself with all of you.  I am a personal shopper and stylist enjoying life at the beautiful Jersey Shore with my husband, two boys and two miniature dachshunds. I started my business, ThirtySomethingFashion in 2009 after turning thirty, having my first son and moving from the Philadelphia hustle and bustle to the much slower pace of seaside living. I left my full time retail career to stay at home with my newborn, but it was essential to remain on the pulse of all things fashion and style. As a stylist, I love mixing high and low designs to create that perfect look for my clients. In early 2010, I created the “TSF Box Service”, an innovative idea of personalized boxes of style, that has grown my business much faster than ever anticipated. It allows me to bring her styling aesthetic to women all over the country, helping them find a look that enables them to feel their absolute best.  I offer a plethora of services now seven years later and feel blessed to style women either in person or virtually five days a week.  My styling business has a strong focus on boutique shopping/styling versus mall and I am really proud of that. 
I truly love what I do and do what I love, everyday."

1.   What would you list as your best quality?    

I am extremely self-motivated.  I started working at sixteen not because I had to but because I really enjoy being busy, feeling accomplished and having my independence.  It is something that has carried through my education and career. 

2.   When do you feel your strongest?

I recently took up the game of tennis.  I hadn't played in over 20 years.  It was hard work to get decent again, but I am really loving it.  When I crush the ball, I feel STRONG! 

3.     On your most difficult days, what keeps you going? 
  
Hugs from my little people without a DOUBT!  They sometimes drive me crazy but are truly the lights of my life.  On days when everything seems to be going wrong, one hug, kiss or "I love you" from my boys makes everything alright.  I am so lucky to have them and cherish them everyday. 

4.     So far, what have been your greatest accomplishment(s) in your career?

I recently launched my own T-shirt collection called ThirtySomethingTees.  As a full time personal stylist, I saw a need in the market for a great fitting, made in America, high quality tee that was always available for purchase.  Many retailers create an awesome tee for a "season" and then when you try to replace that favorite tee....it is nowhere to be found.  You have to start all over.  Not anymore!  ThirtySomethingTees is that classic perfect tee and always available in the same fabric, design and always the same price.  The part I am most proud of is the charitable component.  In partnership with my manufacturer, we donate $1.50 from every tee sold to K. Hovnanian Childrens Hospital at the Jersey Shore.  Small voices can make major impact and I believe these donations are making a real difference in the lives of patients and their families.

5.     What advice would you give to your younger self?

Slow down and enjoy the ride. 

6.   What do you look forward to the most?

I turned 37 this year and I guess had that "AHA" moment that people talk about.  I really try to live IN the moment.  My life is not perfect, but it is perfect for me and I try to relax, enjoy and breath in the present.  It is often times easier said than done, but I am a work in progress.

7.     What has been your biggest failure, and how have you overcome it?


I can't really think of one huge failure but I definitely have had ideas that have not worked out.  I also have daily moments of doubt.  Don't we all?  I just remind myself of all that IS working, all that I DO have and keep pushing toward my goals.  Every tough moment or failure is just a sign that it wasn't meant to be and something better is around the corner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment