#girlboss(es) 14 - Donna O'Brien

Happy Friday! Today's post features, Donna O'Brien! I first met Donna 9 years ago, when my sister, Sara scheduled an appointment with her to discuss the flowers for her wedding. Sara had done her research and knew that Donna and her team at Beautiful Blooms could create the vision she had for her wedding. At the time that Sara was planning her wedding, whenever you opened a Philly wedding magazine, you would see Donna's work. Her floral arrangements really redefined wedding/event flowers. Her work was unique and innovative, without ever recreating a look, but you always knew it was Beautiful Blooms. In addition to being brilliantly creative, Donna is such a sweetheart herself. She is someone that you want to be your friend. Because of all of those reasons and more, I had to work with Donna for my own wedding, and of course, I love how everything turned out!

This is one of the pictures from our wedding ceremony flowers. Gorgeous, right? 


Since then, Donna has changed her career path (as most of us do at one point or another), and she was kind enough to share her story with me (and my readers)! Thanks again, Donna!





"After 10 years of owning my own company, Beautiful Blooms, I sold it and began a new career working for David’s Bridal. It was time for a change but it had to be the right opportunity, and I was lucky enough to find the right one. I love working for David’s Bridal! They are an incredible company to work for and care so deeply about their staff and their clients! The beauty is that I still get to work with brides, and I get to combine my fashion background with my event planning experience. I am the Director of Special Events at David’s Bridal, and I feel fortunate every day for the opportunity to connect with our clients. "



1.   What would you list as your best quality?  

I would say thinking of others. As I have gotten older I’d like to think I’ve gotten wiser. I wake up every day and try to contribute to the world around me. I make a point of remembering friend’s birthdays, try to make friends and family feel special, help the homeless and save shelter dogs. These things are really what makes a life full.

2.   When do you feel your strongest?

After an amazing workout. I finally have gone back to the gym and made ME a priority. I leave feeling mentally strong and physically strong. It is the perfect combo to head out into the world and make a difference. I like to workout in the morning because it just starts the day with a bang.

3.     On your most difficult days, what keeps you going?

I lost my dad three years ago and that was one of the absolute most difficult day of my life. I miss him every single day.

As hard as that was I still know that no matter what I am going through so many people are going through much more difficult times than I am. I have an amazing love in my life, an incredible family and truly wonderful friends. I know I have a support system that no matter what will always be there. I feel extremely fortunate and that keeps me going.

4.     What do you value the most in yourself, you relationship with your spouse/partner, and your family?

Making sure the person I love and the people around me know how important they are to me. I try to verbalize my thoughts and show my feelings through cards, presenting floral gifts and just doing little things. You never know when it is your "time", so I always want to make sure I don’t waste a second getting upset at things or people that are so unimportant.  I value trust and honesty and hate playing games. I love being in a supportive partnership where each person has each others back.

5.     So far, what have been your greatest accomplishment(s) in your career?

I would stay starting my own company and having it live on, even after I am no longer with the company. I put my heart and soul into the company. I started it with barely any experience in the industry and had the mentality that there was no room for failure. I just wanted to create the most amazing day for my clients. I never gave up, even though it was so tough at times. I had people counting on me. As they say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and I am still here and am stronger. I am proud of my accomplishments and all those people that let me be a part of their lives and special events.

6.     What advice would you give to your younger self?

Enjoy every day, and be the best person you can be!

7.   What do you look forward to the most?

My weekends! After working every single weekend for 13 years and missing out on a lot of activities with my friends, I truly love having my weekends back. I may work from home at times but that is my own decision. Life is so busy during the week, so it is the time to relax with my boyfriend and our big dog!

8.    What has been your biggest failure, and how have you overcome it?

My biggest failure was probably the first wedding I did. It was a disaster but in the end it all worked out. At that point, I had come to a crossroad and had to make a decision to move forward or walk away. I chose to move forward and never looked back after that.




Labels: ,