Friday, October 14, 2016

#girlboss(es) redefined - mom

Happy Friday! I am still continuing with my Fabulous Female Friday posts, but now we're expanding on a slightly different trend. As you can see, the title of this post (and the posts that will follow it) is titled, "#girlboss(es) redefined". These posts are meant to feature the strong women in my life that may not be a boss by the traditional meaning, but they are certainly bosses in the sense that they are strong, motivating, empowering, incredible people that deserved to be talked about and shown off! My job with these posts continues to be difficult, because I want you, the reader, to understand just how awesome these women are, and I hope to do them justice with my posts!




What better way to start off my #girlboss(es) redefined series than by interviewing my mom! She is absolutely one of the best role models in my life, and I am thankful to have her in my life. You'll notice in reading these posts, similar to the #girlboss(es) posts, I asked these women the same or similar questions, and gave them the options of which questions to answer. I have loved reading the variations in their answers, and I hope you do too!

Mrs. Kathleen Savini (my mom!!)


Before sharing my insights, I would like to say, Susan, thank you so much for inviting me to participate in your Fabulous Female Fridays! The stories shared have been inspirational and reflective of the myriad of paths women travel in pursuit of their dreams and aspirations.

My 65th birthday is rapidly approaching, and on reflection, I find that the answers to the introspective questions you asked would have been different at different times in my life. So with the benefit of hindsight, I can say that there were many times when I thought I was at my strongest, only to have other life challenges that expanded my definition of strength: emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, physically. And that, for me, is part of the beauty of life! It is ever changing, which means, as you’ve heard me say many times, we are all works in progress.

I married your Dad a week after I had turned 18. Would I advise my younger self to do this? Logic says no, but then the questions become what would I have changed? Who would I be today if I hadn’t? I worked for the first twelve years of our marriage, going from secretarial positions to an administrative medical malpractice insurance underwriter, and then a medical malpractice claims investigator for the Pennsylvania Medical Society. At the time of this last job, my Mom was fighting breast cancer, and I felt like I needed a break from work that I found emotionally draining. It was within a month of giving my termination notice that I learned I was pregnant. Such a beautiful life affirming moment! Especially so because I had had conversations with my Mom (a mother of 6 children) about bringing children into a world in such turmoil. Her simple words, “But life is worth living, isn’t it, Kath?” gave me the courage, strength, and hope to believe that it was, not just for me, but for any children I might have. I am grateful for her words that taught me that love, gratitude, compassion for others, an open mind, laughter, the beauty of our world, are true talismans for us.
I chose to be a stay-at-home Mom, was an orphan at 34, earned a bachelors degree in Liberal Arts at age 48. I have travelled much and I read exhaustively. Dad and I will be celebrating our 47th anniversary this year. I am unabashedly proud of my two daughters, two incredible forces of nature, who continue to provide me with “opportunities for personal growth”! My life is truly family-centered and it is the love and joy of my family life that give me strength and motivates me each day. I am truly blessed. 





This is one of my favorite pictures of my mom, my sister, and I. I love it, because it shows how they always manage to have that perfect balance of support/concern for me when I'm upset, but they also keep me in check too. 





Another oldie but definitely a goodie of my mom with my sister and me. 


My amazing parents - this past summer in OBX. 

No comments:

Post a Comment